St. John’s University
8000 Utopia Parkway
Queens, NY 11439
Aug 1-4, 2018 (Wed – Sat)
Data Science Workshop
Data and analytics are now key to business decision making, driving research, and automating human tasks. However, finding value from data requires more than just using tools but rather also interpreting and bringing meaningful insights from hidden patterns. This Data Science Workshop (DSW) is a hands-on crash-course to the world of data analysis and modeling using popular open source tools; R or Python.
Planned sessions are:
*Prior programming experience recommended
Possible topics covered are (topics may change based on skill level of registrants):
- Basic Data Analysis, e.g. Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA), Data Cleaning, Data Storage / Import & Export, Linear Regression, Correlation Analysis
- Machine Learning Models and Applications, e.g. Multivariate Analysis, Random Forest, SVM, Pattern Recognition, Text Mining, Neural Networks.
The Data Science Workshop will be held in the morning sessions from 8am-12pm over 2 days during UKC from Friday to Saturday, August 3-4, 2018. Session topics on Friday and Saturday will be repeated but with different instructors. Each session time will have two parallel sessions in either Python or R programming. Sign-up information is below:
- Seat reservation is required by July 23, 2018 using the form below.
- Seat reservation confirmation will be provided by July 27, 2018.
- Limited 12 seats for each parallel session. Priority given to professionals in industry and academia with appropriate skill level. Waitlist is available.
- Registration fee for workshop is included in the general UKC registration.
- Certificate of completion from UKC provided for each workshop session.
- Note that the Data Science Workshop overlaps with the UKC plenary session from 10:30am-12:30pm
List of workshop instructors will be provided as soon as they become available.
Supporting Instructors & Organizers